Monday 28 September 2009

The Start of Term...

Yes, I have my first lecture in the new academic year this afternoon!

It is always something of a shock to the system, sitting there, pen in hand, taking notes.

My big problem is that my mind often fires off in random directions, triggered by something that has been said. In past lectures I have found myself drifting off and thinking about Charles the Bold of Burgundy, or something that General Patton once said!

Must learn to control my mind!

Yeah, right! If I can't control it now I don't think I ever will!

My other problem is my awful handwriting. I start off moderately bad and just degenerate from there. I have to make a point of word processing my notes into something readable before I completely forget what they were about. To be honest, though, this isn't a bad thing as it helps me to remember what was said and often gets me looking up extra stuff to flesh out the notes.

A final quote that I rediscovered the other day when looking for something to read in the bath - this is very applicable to University life:

"Of course, it is very important to be sober when you take an exam. Many worthwhile careers in the street-cleansing, fruit-picking and subway-guitar-playing industries have been founded on a lack of understanding of this simple fact."
Pratchett, T. (1991) Moving Pictures.

Have a great Monday!

3 comments:

terri said...

At least your mind fires off in random directions that have something to do with the topic of discussion. I'd be afraid to take a class. Even in meetings at work, I find myself daydreaming about things completely unrelated to the subject. I'm hopeless. I'm much better off given something to read, rather than listen to a discussion.

Anonymous said...

I used to tell the construction workers, that, when I couldn't read their timecard, to try writing with their other hand...maybe you should do the same.

Rock Chef said...

Terri - You make yourself sound like such an air-head!

Morethananelectrician - Thanks, I will try that at my next lecture, later today!