Tuesday 15 September 2009

Birthdays

My youngest will soon be 11 years old.

OK, his name is Ira, reflecting my distant Jewish ancestry - still visible in the shape of my nose ;-)

He is a great little guy - well, not really that little any more, he is almost as tall as Mrs RC!

Anyway, he is a great little guy, intelligent, works hard at school, and has a wicked sense of humour. He will often see something and then take the idea and ramble on, taking the idea to ridiculous extremes which have us all in stitches.

He only has a few friends his own age, mixing much better with older kids. He finds most kids his own age "too baby-ish" - he can't connect with them, whereas he is more than able to hold his own in the company of 15 year olds.

Which brings me to his birthday. We are having real trouble deciding what to buy him! I have already ordered a copy of the latest Halo game for the XBox (which he is probably technically too young to play, but what the heck! I don't have a problem with Halo - Grand Theft Auto is another matter...) but a lot of other stuff that is designed for his age group just looks, um, "too baby-ish"!

We sometimes wonder if he has somehow skipped part of his childhood, going straight from little kid to teenager. Perhaps he has just caught up with his older brother - I remember trying to do this when I was a kid, but I failed to catch him!

Anyhoo...

Any ideas for birthday presents for a 15 year old 11 year old?

4 comments:

terri said...

Ummm.... let's see. Bubble wrap? Everyone loves bubble wrap, from 4 year olds on up to 15 year old 11 year olds. And 42 year olds.

Ooooh! I know! How about a stomp rocket? All boys love stomp rockets. (Do you know what they are? I'll go find a link. Be right back...)

Ok, I'm back...Here you go: http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/d_l_company/index.cfm?source=google&kwid=&gclid=CL7_8ejs9JwCFRkMDQodORMrkQ

Or... a digital camera :-)

Those are my ideas! Happy Birthday to Ira!

agg79 said...

How much of a geek is he?
You might take a look at http://www.thinkgeek.com/. They have a lot of wicked geeky stuff he might like or have fun with (I just got a few gifts for my son's birthday last week). Try the personal soundtrack shirt or the drum kit shirt.

Happy Birthday, Ira!

Michele said...

If he likes music and video games, why not get him the new Guitar Hero (or something along those lines) that features The Beatles? A new generation introduced to classic rock!... Unless you hate the Beatles, then go with Terri's Stomp Rocket!
Happy Birthday, Ira!

Rock Chef said...

Terri - Stomp Rocket could be fun - some kids had one when we were camping. He doesn't really show interest in cameras. Might go with the bubble wrap!

agg79 - Interesting stuff - I think we have a shop in Canterbury that has that sort of stuff, I will check it out at lunchtime.

Michele - He plays guitar hero at a friends house, I will check that out too. Taking things a step further, if I could find a quiet drum kit for a sensible price...