Monday 6 July 2009

The weekend

What a weekend!

The weather was amazing (hot and sunny all day with rain at night to keep the plants happy) so we got stuck in to sorting out the garden for our party next week.

Next Sunday would have been my eldest daughter's 22nd birthday, so we are having an open house with food, drink, games systems (Sega Mega Drive and N-64 in the shed, Wii in the living room), tombola with prizes, etc, etc. My daughter loved things like this so it is another way of remembering her in a positive way.

Mrs RC really went to town on the gardening while I took the garden truck to the DIY store for gravel - 2 trips in the end, but well worth it as my barbeque area is now all gravelled and great to work in. I thought about my American friends as I slaved away - I was sure that they were having a much more relaxing 4th of July than I was!

We also dismantled the trampoline that the kids have grown out of, which makes the garden feel much bigger. Our garden is rather small and we have to make the best use of the space we have got. The trampoline is on its way to a new home where it will hopefully serve for a few more years.

Sunday was more relaxing - a stroll into town for a bit of shopping and then back for a barbeque in my new gravelled area. It was great. We had a mix of fab sausages, gammon slices and tuna steaks. This was my fiirst time with tuna and it was really good - I suspect that this will become a regular thing for us now.

Oh, as I rarely do gardening, I had forgotten how dirty you get. Sunday morning I got up and looked in the bath and saw the muck that I had left behind! ICK! I was appalled! I could probably have grown rice in there!

Anyway, this is getting a bit long, so I will sign off now!

Bye!

10 comments:

mr zig said...

so where are the pictures of your newly "pimped out" garden? :)

Rock Chef said...

Yeah, I knew someone would ask that...

Chris said...

Sounds like it was a blast!
We would have loved to be in the neighbourhood to stop by for a "spot of tea."

Anytime there's video games involved, I'd be the first in line!

Rock Chef said...

Chris - A spot of tea? I thought you would have joined me for a few beers, but if you want that muck we call Tea, you are welcome! :-) Or you could have a glass of wine...

James said...

Is the queen coming this year? It is great that you have recycled the trampoline, they give kids a lot of fun and excercise. No fat bastards in your house RC.

I will remember you and your daughter on the day

Rock Chef said...

James - the Queen was going to come but changed her mind when we told her that the trampoline had gone.

terri said...

Now you know how I felt getting ready for Jake's graduation party! Sounds like yours is going to be a blast. I'm sure your daughter would approve.

Ali said...

LOL - everyone else is being so nice talking about you planning the party and doing all your yard work, and I just can't stop laughing at you being able to grow rice in your tub!! Ahahahahaha! :)

The Moody Minstrel said...

At least you were able to get some gardening done. My last two weekends in a row got torpedoed, and the flowerbeds have already been conquered and subjugated by dandelions, ferns and horsetails.

Why is it everyone had an eventful 4th of July weekend (Yes, I know...meaningless to you) except me?

Well, not entirely uneventful, but not enough to blog about.

Best wishes for you and your family.

Rock Chef said...

Terri - Yes, we try to make these days the sort of day that she enjoyed.

Ali - I thought someone would enjoy that bit!

Minstrel - I don't know - I think July 4th is an important day - it is the day the British decided that America was all grown up and should be allowed to fly the nest. Yeah, I know, but everyone else re-writes history, so why can't I?