Monday 20 July 2009

The British Summer

I know - Brits always talk about the weather.

Why?

Well I think it is partly because we are rather dull and boring people.

Another factor is probably that it is so unpredictable!

I mean, if you live in Canada you will have a good idea of what the weather will be like in a particular month - January? Up to your ears in snow. August? Trying not to fry to death. Easy!

What is it like in England? Let's take Sunday...

Morning. Had to wear a coat while walking the dog, it was freezing cold.

Then it rained.

Then it got hot.

Then it got windy.

Then it rained again.

Then it was just humid, hot and windy at the same time, but looking like it would rain.

So I fired up the barbeque and the clouds parted, leaving it hot, sunny and very windy! (BTW the coals seemed to love the extra oxygen that the wind provided, soaring to amazing temperatures!)

By the evening dog walk it was starting to rain yet again, with rumbling thunder in the distance.

So be warned, if you are ever tempted to visit England...

7 comments:

Ali said...

Well I'll get there someday, so I'll just have to remember to pack my umbrella, rain suit, boots, flip flops, hat, sunglasses, wind pants, hoodie sweatshirt, sunscreen, toque and some gloves.
All of which is currently sitting in my hall closet. I'm set :)

The Moody Minstrel said...

I think the Weather Demons™ just sit up in the sky with a great big spinner and determine the weather randomly.

Rock Chef said...

Ali - Sounds about right for a day out here at the moment!

Moody Minstrel - You are right! Meteorological Twister!

Kate said...

sounds much like Chicago. And it's only getting weirder lately! Summer comes much much later and lingers on well into October now. On any given day, I always have to dress in layers.

James said...

That weather is what makes us great!! I love it especially the rain. No kidding!

terri said...

Now I know how to prepare when I come visit!

agg79 said...

You're more than welcome to visit down here in Texas where it's hot and humid and sticky. It's been kinda dry lately. Even the mosquitos are looking thirsty...