Tuesday 9 March 2010

Musical Time Travel

WIGSF has been taking us on a musical world tour, which has been great fun. I wanted to do something different and decided on musical time travel - songs that remind me of a particular time of my life.

Song number one is:



I didn't really know what the song was about when I was, what, 5 or 6? I loved it and can remember playing with plastic Army Men with this song on the radio... Yes, I never grew out of toy soldiers.

I was aware of the Vietnam War going on, though. I was so puzzled about why American hardware was failing to beat the VC and NVA - now I know that the answer is not a simple one!

This was a time when my mom worked in the local corner shop, and I ate rather too much chocolate. I was short and chubby!

My favourite TV programs were Jerry Anderson stuff like Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet, plus all the westerns and war movies that I watched with my dad. I guess watching the war movies added to my wonder at the situation in Vietnam - if John Wayne and the Green Berets couldn't clean things up, what hope was there?

Stay tuned for a song from my College days!

6 comments:

wigsf said...

cool idea

Rock Chef said...

wigsf - Glad you approve!

terri said...

I remember a bunch of Vietnamese kids enrolling in our school in 1975. They knew no English, were unfamiliar with our culture and were just plunged into this new society. I made good friends with one girl, Bach Yen. Our communication was limited as you can imagine. Oddly enough, I had no idea about the Vietnam War and never questioned why these kids and their families would come to a foreign country and start a new life. For some reason, I remember a lot of folk songs from that era.

agg79 said...

My dad sponsored a young Vietnamese couple who brought their entire families over. They worked their way up through the ranks and school and most are doctors and scientists now. Was a wild time back then (not that today is any smoother). We all ate too much (I lived on twinkies) and watched cartoons (Johnny Quest) and looked up to John Wayne to kick some butt and clean up the world. CCR was one of my favorites.

Unknown said...

Ignorance is Bliss....

Don't know what you guys are talking about because I was born in 1978.

And my infant-hood were The Last Days of Disco :(

Rock Chef said...

Terri - I can imagine that your parents might not have wanted you to see what was going on out there - some of the TV footage was pretty horrific. Yep, lots of folk songs at that time!

agg79 - Your dad was a generous guy! That sort of story is what America is all about, IMO. Wonder what would have happened if John Wayne had gone into politics?

Shadowthorne - Disco - argh, the horror! That is something that really should have been napalmed! :-)