Thursday 1 May 2008

Impending DOOM!!!!!

The threat has been lurking for a few weeks now, but we have been trying to ignore it.

The thought has just been too horrible to contemplate.

But you can't fight off the inevitable for ever...

Next Tuesday, the day after our May Day Bank Holiday (yes, I am having another long weekend) our house is being re-wired. A team is coming in and they do the whole house in a single day!

Their advice is not much use - they tell us to move everything away from the walls, into the middle of the rooms, while upstairs they also want to be able to pull up floor boards so they can get to the ground floor lights! So I guess the bedroom furniture has to sort of float up in the air somewhere.

I am taking the day off so that I can help move things around as the electricians need access to certain places - there is no other way, we have so much stuff in our house it is not possible to just move it all at once.

Still, I guess I should be looking on the good side of this. Once it is done we will be able to switch the landing light on and off from upstairs, and we will be gaining a few extra sockets in useful places.

I just wish I could just skip the day and go straight to having it done.

Wish us luck!

9 comments:

Ali said...

You are SUCH a slacker!

"Re-wiring" your house? Oh yes, I'm sure that's what is going on ;)

That is one project I would like to blink and miss too - hopefully the furniture levitating goes smoothly...

tz said...

we're in the middle of a remodel and all I can say is...

good luck!

here's another good thing...you're not doing it yourself!

oh and if you can get the furniture to levitate...take pictures!

m said...

Your furniture can't float? Man, it's like it's still the dark ages over there in England! Our furniture has been floatable for decades now...

Jen said...

Now this is the kind of pain I can understand, more so, understand.

I hope it goes well and painless.

Anonymous said...

This sounds so NOT fun! It's definitely one of those things you wish you didn't have to go through, but is so worth it when it's done. Hope all goes well.

Chachi said...

Wow sounds like alot of work, almost like moving. Hope all goes well.
BTW, what is May Day Bank Holiday? Do all the banks close and does anything special happen on this day?

Rock Chef said...

Ali - Slacker? Me? How did you work that out?

tz - You are not allowed to do stuff like this youself over here - only registered, certified electricians. Will have the camera ready just incase we manage levitation.

Mindy - Our furniture only floats during floods!

Jen - Thanks for your understanding!

Terri - I guarantee it is not fun - we had it done in our last house too :-(

Chachi - May Day is an old festival so we can expect to see Morris Dancing and stuff like in various places over the weekend. Most shops stay open these days, but a lot of other places are closed.

Jen said...

Um. I'm redundant. . .

It was supposed to say:

Now this is the kind of pain I can feel, more so, understand.

I hope it goes well and painless.

D'oh!

kenady said...

Good luck!! I'm sure all will be fantastic once it's complete.