Wednesday 28 May 2008

It's the end of the World as we know it...

On Monday we decided that our food stocks needed to be replenished, so on Tuesday morning we headed off to the local Tesco for some serious shopping.

We had only been there for a few minutes (still in the computer supplies section buying a new DVD/RW unit) when the power went off.

Then it came back as the back-up kicked in. Announcements came over the speakers thanking customers for their patience while the checkouts re-booted (or not in a lot of cases!) and we continued. It was as we reached the salads that I realized all was not right - the display was being stripped by staff as the chillers were not running. I grabbed some before it all went. Then we came to the chiller and freezer sections - and these were starting to be blocked off as they also had no power and the manager wanted to prevent them being opened to keep the temperatures down.

A disaster - how could we re-stock our freezers now?

So we trolled around for a while, getting other stuff while they tried to fix the power.

Eventually the power returned but they made no moves to unblock the aisles, and time was running out - our lift was due soon.

So I did it. I am not proud of it, but there was nothing else for it.

I pushed aside a barrier, went into one of the off-limits aisles and grabbed a load of beef and chicken.

Yes, I stuck my fingers up at The Man and did what I had to do.

Watch out for me on Most Wanted!

12 comments:

terri said...

Oops... I read that last sentence wrong. I read, "I stuck my fingers UP THE MAN...."

That presents a very different picture than what you intended, I'm sure!

Rock Chef said...

Terri! Just what sort of person do you think I am? But wow, that really MIGHT have made the news!

Logzie said...

So many things went thru my head as I was waiting for my computer to get to this comment section...

1-"a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!"

2-Shall we start calling you "Rock Thief"? (you did pay for them didn't you?) :)

3-atleast you didn't ram your cart (or buggy as I think you say) into a nice lady in the frozen food section...if you didn't do that then we are okay!

LOL!!!!

Jen said...

They didn't leave you much choice now, did they? I have to say it's not like you weren't going to give it a nice cold freezer at your home too. Better there than melting, I think.

Stick your fingers WHERE? Tee hee! I have to agree that I thought the last thing you wrote said, "I stuck my fingers UP THE MAN" too. . . . D'oh!

kenady said...

LOL!!! And all the comments, too! The end of the world as we know it, eh, Chief Rock Thief?

mr zig said...

oh man, great post... And hillarious comments

Rock Chef said...

Logzie - Of course I paid for them! As for ramming onto people, I am usually the victim rather than the perp. Oh, we call them Trolleys.

Jen - Thank you for validating my actions! You too! I was showing my defiance, not giving free prostate checks!

Kenady - I paid for it, not a thief OK? I was just being a bit rebellious!

Zig - Thanks - and to tell the truth I think the comments were much better than my post. These women, huh? You think they are such delicate little things...

terri said...

Ohhh... the comments here were worth a return visit! I am cracking up!

kenady said...

CRC... just playing with you! I would never really think you were a thief:) Sometimes you just have to stick it to "the man".

Rock Chef said...

Terri - The comments are the best part of blogging, IMO!

Kenady - I know :-) And again, let's emphasise the "TO" shall we? Some of the people who visit like to mis-read what you write!

Sitting In Silence said...

I wanna know what finger ya stuck up ! LMAO

Chachi said...

What were those people in the store thinking? It's like you have all day to wait until they get around to unblocking the freezers. Why is it some people in a manager, doctor, banker, etc position feel they have the right to make peolpe wait as if our time is not as valuable as theirs? I could really get going on this subject but I will save it for another time. Good going!!

BTW - Sometimes I think the comments are the best part of blogging too