Monday 19 May 2008

The weekend...

Saturday was my little girl's 12th birthday, so we were up early giving presents and having the breakfast of her choice - pain au chocolat, mainly.

My wife then took Custard the dog for his morning walk while the kids got ready to go out. We were outside Pizza Hut (my daughter's choice) at opening time, the only time on a Saturday you can get a table without waiting, and were the first ones in. We had nachos, garlic ciabatta and a mixed platter for starters, then 2 large stuffed crust pizzas, then profiteroles and ice cream. Our waitress had the kids in stitches, being incredibly happy, friendly and helpful - the kids were like "Oh my God, what is wrong with her, she must really love working here, or is she on drugs?" I just thought she was great and gave her a good tip. Last time I thought I was going to die of thirst and had to crawl to the counter whispering "water, water" through cracked lips. Well, I might be exaggerating a little but you get the idea...

Then we waddled out into the town to do some shopping - I took the boys to look at computer games while my wife took the Birthday Girl off to spend some of her money on girly stuff. When everyone had finished we joined up again and headed for home.

In the evening, my wife and I watched "I am Legend", which I rather enjoyed, though my wife thought it was not as good as the book.

Sunday was intended to be nice and restful but around 10am we got a call from my dad. We have planted some vegetables in his garden and he said that the plants were all coming up and the pigeons were coming down and eating them all - we needed to get some nets over them very quickly! So we dashed to the garden centre, grabbed some netting, dashed back and put up the nets. The dashing was all in vain, though - only 2 things were actually coming up and some pigeons had FLOWN OVER the garden. Somehow, between seeing this and reaching the phone, my dad's imagination had run riot and made it into something from that Hitchcock movie! Oh well. One day we will learn. Meanwhile, the kids, especially my daughter, were entertaining themselves with their new stuff and seemed oblivious to our ordeal.

So a good weekend for all really, if we steer away from the netting incident, but I guess you can't have everything.

13 comments:

terri said...

I see you have made the name change official, Chief!

It sounds like a wonderful birthday for your daughter. Glad she had a good celebration!

Your dad sounds much like my parents. Everything that needs doing, needs doing RIGHT NOW. And if we don't run to get it done RIGHT NOW, they will do it themselves. Last week my mom climbed a ladder to get things down from the garage rafters because we didn't get there to do it soon enough. We learned a big lesson. My parents shouldn't be on ladders, so next time a request for help is made, drop everything and RUN!

Chachi said...

Sounds like your daughter and family had an awesome day. Spending time with family is great no matter what the occasion.

BTW what is pain au chocolat and profiteroles? I have never heard of them. I'm sure the first has to do with chocolate.

Rock Chef said...

Terri - Yes, the name is official! My dad doesn't do it himself, he just keeps coming round or phoning up talking about completely different things and then, just as he is about to go or hang up says "Oh, don't forget the X. No hurry." No hurry! That's a laugh!

Chachi - Pain au chocolat is French croissants with chocolate inside, very nice. Profiteroles are small, cream-filled cakes drizzled in chocolate sauce. Like small chocolate eclairs, if you have those in the US. Also very nice! Good anti-wrinkle food ;-)

Chachi said...

I have had both the croissants and eclairs, We just call them croissants and cream filled eclairs, no fancy name here. I remember how good they were. Anti-wrinkle....hm, maybe that's why I have so few at my age, all that chocolate, LOL.

kenady said...

Happy birthday to your daughter. It sounds like you had a great weekend:) Except for the Hitchcock movie part, but at least you're a good kid and there for your dad:)

Jen said...

chief rock chef! Happy belated to your 12 year old!

I think people learn that in emergency situation, even if they're not, but they make them so, you'll come a runnin' . . . And, you know, those pigeons are evil.

Rock Chef said...

Chachi - Yes, we do like to have fancy foreign-sounding names over here! And you do seem very wrinkle-free - more proof of my theory!

Kenady - Yes, I am there when they need me - or when they just THINK they do!

Jen - You have got if figured out! And those pigeons are the devil incarnate, aren't they? You are right! I mean they deliberately poop on our national heroes and everything!

Logzie said...

Your weekend sounds awesome! I love the ideas of letting the kids plan the day and the food with their favorites! I'll may have to adapt that one. :)

I think maybe that exaggerating happens with old age...maybe?...in that case...I'm WAY old. Ha! I've always been prone to exaggerating...never realized it till Chuck pointed it out to me...but I NEVER-EVER exaggerate on my blog...EVER. LOL!!

Sitting In Silence said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful birthday...

We also do the Pizza Hut...(Kid's choice as well) for birthdays...

I so love the movie I am legend...of course it has nothing to do with Will himself (snicker)...

Jahooni said...

Pizza Hut.... Yum!! I am now hungry! Do you hear my tummy?

Happy birthday to your "soon to be a teenager!"

missed you guys!

Rock Chef said...

Logzie - "I've always been prone to exaggerating..." Now, was that an exaggeration? ;-)

Sitting in Silence - Of course - I am sure you hated spending an hour and a half watching Will...

Jahooni - I think your stomach just caused another quake in China! Missed you too!

Kiki said...

Profiteroles are like our cream puffs here in the US....

RC, It sounds like you had a great weekend, your daughter birthday sounds like it was a perfect day and as far as your father goes, well maybe he just needed you to be there....

I'm glad you had such a lovely weekend and that no major damage was done to the garden!!! Cheers to your daughter!!

Rachael Rae Diaries said...

Happy "belated" birthday little daughter of Chief Rock chef. Sounds like you had quite the adventure!