Wednesday 2 March 2011

Wednesday already!

The week is flying past...

Monday was spent getting to the hospital and back on a cold, damp day.  Visits to hospitals are never fun these days, bringing back so many memories of when our daughter was ill.  Once it was over we walked back into town rather than hang around even longer waiting for the bus.

For dinner I cooked Chinese - pork steaks, noodles, crackers and a wonderful mix of vegetables.  Been a while since I did that - it used to be a speciality of mine - and it was great.

When it was too late to put it right we realised that we had no croissants for breakfast.  These are a tradition for Mrs RC's birthday, so in an effort to keep it going I found a recipe and made some.  They are a cross between puff pastry and bread dough, and I it took a couple of hours to get them done (although a lot of that was with the dough/pastry in the fridge in between the repeated folding and rolling).  They turned out great, and I am now under pressure to do more and to experiment with variations, especially with chocolate...

Still rockin' in the kitchen!  :-)

4 comments:

CiCi said...

You are a handy guy for sure. I am impressed with your ingenuity in the kitchen. What a sweet thing to make croissants for Mrs RC. I agree with her, if you were so successful with the plain ones, just think of the possibilities of different flavors!

terri said...

I'm sorry about the hospital visit bringing sad memories. ((Hug))

Sounds like you made it a good birthday with the Chinese food and croissants. YUM!

agg79 said...

I don't care how fancy and snazzy they make them, Hospitals are no fun and not some place I want to linger at. Glad you are done with if for now and hope that Mrs RC's prognosis is good.

Cooking can be very theraputic (IMHO). Especially if you are working on your specialty. I am on a Italian kick right now with lots of pasta and chicken and mushrooms. I'd like to see what you were able to whip up for Mrs RC's birthday. Sounds like a great alternative.

Scott said...

And for that you have my envy! I can't handle cooking--it's the preparation and cleanup that take away the enjoyment of it, for me! But unfortunately for my weight I can certainly handle eating! The croissants--and especially the Chinese must have been delicious!