Thursday 17 February 2011

Parent's Evening


Got all of our issues out in the open last night.  My daughter was very forward and straight talking when airing her grievances, but my youngest found it harder.  But we still put his case and know it will be listened to. 

He found it hard to criticise teachers.  Afterwards we chatted as we walked home.  I told him about some bad teachers I had at school, including the art teacher who would use a red pen on your sketches!

I also pointed out that teachers are just people doing a job - if they are doing something wrong that is affecting you they need to be told.  You should not suffer for the sake of politeness!

Looking forward to seeing the changes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

terri said...

Good for you encouraging the kids to voice their concerns with the teachers. A good teacher will give it consideration and not take anything too personally. Although, I've experienced the opposite, where questioning a teacher made her retaliate. She was an all-around disliked teacher anyway and Kacey was glad to get out of her class when it was over.

agg79 said...

I think you are on the right path teaching them to be open and honest with their opinions. Those just need to be balanced with common sense and tact. I've had my share of bad teachers so I can relate to some of their issues. I just wish I was as open and forthright with my comments but I was probably more like your son - too polite or intimidated to express my opinions.

Rock Chef said...

wigsf - Not a saying that I recognise, but I think I see what you are saying.

Terri - Been there, Terri - there was one teacher that my wife wanted to seriously hurt...

Agg79 - The older kids have all made complaints of their own without us getting involved, but the younger one is a bit more shy. He will get there I am sure!