Monday, 9 May 2011

The big 50...

OK, I am not quite 50, I still have a couple of years to go, but...

A while ago, Mrs RC and I realised that my 50th year coincided with the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.



Now as far as I am concerned, this (together with the fall of Vicksburg immediately afterwards) marked the point at which the South becamed doomed - the war should have ended in the summer of 1863 rather than dragging on for another 2 bloody, destructive years.

Anyway, when we realised this, the ever wonderful Mrs RC (note - every guy should have a woman as perfect for them as Mrs RC is for me!) said that I should have a trip over to Gettysburg to celebrate my 50th.

Time passed...

I had almost forgotten about the idea...

But not Mrs RC!  She has remembered and said that she will start a Gettysburg fund to make sure I can have that trip!  Woo hoo!  I have never flown that far before, so will soon start checking out the likely costs of flights, etc.  I am not intending to go during the actual anniversary celebrations, I want it to be quieter so I can really soak up the place. 

Can't wait!

11 comments:

wReggie said...

You get there and I'll meet you. It is 8 hours from home but I've never been and time is wasting.

James ® said...

Interesting... I'm reading an "alternate history" of the Civil War period in which the war lasts over forty years. VERY different story line. I just finished the first of three volumes. I hope you get a chance to visit here, and it's everything you want it to be.

wReggie said...

I have my great, great grandfathers 50th anniversary pin he got at the reunion.

Kate said...

How exciting! What a woman that Mrs. RC is :)

terri said...

Mrs. RC truly, truly loves you! (I know you had no doubt about that already.)

I can't believe you're actually going to come here! Maybe I could coordinate some vacation time and meet you and Wreggie ;-)

Rock Chef said...

wReggie - That would be great! Would have to see if we can find where your great, great grandfather fought. Do you know his regiment? I seem to remember that you do?

James - 40 years? What is the series called? I might have to chase it up!

Kate - You have no idea!

Terri - Excellent! I remember that the first time I mentioned this you said you might make the trip down! Hope we can pull it all together!

James said...

Hey Rock Chef maybe I will come with you. Long time no see y'all

Rock Chef said...

James - Hi! Now that would really be a blast! Maybe we could play small wargame on the battlefield too!

agg79 said...

Excellent site to tour/visit/experience. I got a chance to tour the battlefield many decades ago when I was a kid living in Jersey. Long trip to get there, but you won't be disappointed. Sounds like a great trip and Mrs RC is a real peach to keep your dream alive. Let me know when you go, I might try to finagle a short trip to the East Coast to join the tribe.

Rock Chef said...

Agg79 - That would be great! This is starting to get out of hand!

Teresa said...

Well...you already know that I'm in too!! :) Maybe I'll see you TWICE!!