Monday 21 November 2011

Hitting the High Notes

Well as you might have seen already, Saturday was one bit high note, but it didn't stop when I got home.

All week I had been wanting to eat Bacon and Onion Pudding.  This is an old recipe that Mrs RC's grandmother introduced me to.  She was a great woman and is Mrs RC's role model.  The first time I met her she brought out 3 types of cake, urging me to eat as many as I wanted - "You've travelled a long way, you must be starving!"  So I chomped away on these wonderful cakes, eating so many that I wasn't particularly hungry when she declared it was dinner time, and served up bacon and onion pudding, mashed potatoes, etc.  But it was so wonderful I ate that too.

Anyway, guess what?  Mrs RC had made me Bacon and Onion Pudding for dinner when I got home on Saturday!  Slices of bacon and onion, rolled into a sausage shape of suet dough and then steamed for around 3 hours.  I just had the last slice for dinner at work.  Fantastic.

Sunday was another good day.  A few weeks ago my dad decided that he did not want to watch TV any more.  Of course, he couldn't just leave it in the corner until he wants to switch it on again, he got rid of everything except the satellite dish that is luckly bolted to the outside of his house.  But we (OK, Mrs RC) had the foresite to rescue the vital stuff, knowing that sooner or later he would want a TV again. 

Yesterday he declared that he had bought a second hand TV and was having trouble making it work.  So I grabbed the bag of "vital stuff", popped down and within no time he was up and running again. Queue Bill and Ted style air-guitar celebration.

Monday has been good so far too - a cold, foggy day, but still very enjoyable in its way.

Have a great day!

13 comments:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I couldn't mentally process the recipe. Could you share some details of the pudding.

terri said...

I never quite understand anything called "pudding" unless it's the sugary dessert type of pudding. Of course, anything with bacon in it sounds good!

Smart move on Mrs. RC's part, anticipating that your dad would want to watch television again.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, how the heck did the British Empire get so damn big eating that stuff you call food? Steamed onion? YUCK!

tz said...

bacon and onion pudding....intrigued....if you ever share recipes, would love to see that one!

Rock Chef said...

wReggie - I will try to write a good recipe for this. Not sure if you will find it as wonderful as I do, of course...

Terri - Steak and Kidney Pudding is another classic.

wigsf - We had a serious drive to steal other people's food!

TZ - OK, that's 2 requests - I will post it ASAP.

terri said...

Steak and KIDNEY? I'm not so sure about that one. Maybe if you put bacon in it...

Rock Chef said...

Terri - I hate kidney too and leave it out when I make it. Adding bacon sounds good - might do that next time!

agg79 said...

Now, THAT's the kind of food I was looking for on Saturday. Oh sure, drinking Brains was great and the pub food was good, but I was jonesing for some genuine British fare. I did get my fish & chips fix later that night. I am just not too sure about the kidney pudding thing.

And good job on hot wiring the old tv. Curiouse to know what the "vital stuff" was (duct tape and bailing wire?). As Bill and Ted would say "Excellent".

Rock Chef said...

Agg79 - As I said before, you won't find that sort of food in a restaurant - sadly IMO. Maybe there would be a market for it? Kidneys should be optional IMO, as should anything remotely offal-like. The "vital stuff" included the decoder box for the dish and everything needed to hook it up again. Stuff that would have been in a bin long ago if Mrs RC hadn't rescued it.

Abby said...

I'm with Terri. Pudding is slimy and sweet, like baby candy. But the bacon thing sounds delish. Glad you and Agg79 met up. It makes me hopeful that I'll meet at least one blog friend in real life before I die.

tz said...

so when you take about steak and kidney pie....are you talking kidney beans or an actual kidney....
looking forward to seeing the recipe

Rock Chef said...

Abby - Watch out for AGG79 when he is on his travels - it is well worth making a bit of effort to meet him.

TZ - I am talking real kidney... I would be happy with beans!

CiCi said...

Your dad sounds like some people I know, so it is helpful that you set things aside for when he wants them again.