We have been through a lot together - rich-ish, very poor, happiness, tragedy - but it has all worked to bring us closer together and make us stronger as a couple.
We are, of course, totally unprepared for this anniversary. We are used to carefully laid plans blowing up in our faces, so we just take things like this as they come. It currently looks like we are going to go out for the day, take the train to a nice little town further along the coast, browse in a few shops to see if there are any presents we fancy. Depending on the weather we will either have a picnic on the cliffs looking out towards France or eat in one of the many restaurants that the town has. Whether any of this actually happens remains to be seen!
I will finish with a few tips on making your relationship last 25 years - after this amount of time I think I am qualified to offer a little guidance, unlike most "experts" who never seem to be in stable, long term relationships!
- Before doing something big, check that it is OK with your partner, especially if it involves spending a lot of money.
- Talk about things! It might seem like a good idea to bottle up things that are worrying/upsetting you but this can often be seen as "pulling away".
- Buy them things that they really want, not just things that are expensive and look cool. It is often the little things that make the biggest impression.
- If one of you is good at something and the other is rubbish, let the good one do it! This applies to all sorts of things - managing the money, dealing with difficult neighbours, talking to the kids about certain issues, etc. Masculine pride often has to take a back seat here...
- Present a united front against kids and in-laws - don't let them play you off against each other!
- Try it - you might like it ;-)
Have a great weekend - I certainly intend to!