Thursday 6 September 2012

Pah!

Where did the week go?  Thursday already?

Work has been very busy as I try to get my work area back in order after the refurb.  Almost done, but still lots to finish off, including sorting out hundreds of maps and deciding what to keep and what can go.

My daughter had a great start at college, including a day working with the meerkats.  I really envy her doing that.

We lost a rabbit yesterday.  Pebbles got a dose of mixi and had to be put down.  Hoping the others are OK.  Once we know they are clear we will get them a jab against it.  The jab lasts a year which is OK, but the reason we had not had them done before was that they told us that it only lasts 3 months and we could just not afford to get 6 rabbits done every 3 months!  Years ago we had rabbits done against mixi and the jab they had was for life.  I guess there is more money in one that has to be repeated...

Doing to a friends for a games evening tonight.  He has some good beers lined up and we are playing a board game set in Terry Pratchett's Disc World.  Really looking forward to it.  The last time we played a game like that we had a real blast and both got so drunk that neither of us could really remember how the game finished!

That is about all that my tired brain can manage at the moment - it needs beer!

7 comments:

Abby said...

I've been a day behind all week because of our Monday holiday. Is it really Thursday?

Meerkats? How fun! Sorry about Pebbles. I'm sure she was happy during her time on earth.

Enjoy your game/beer night!

ShadowRun300 said...

Aww-- sorry to hear about Pebbles. Sure hope the rest are okay. (Should I know what mixi is?)
It's been years since I've gotten together with friends for a game night. We used to do it quite often before kids' busy schedules entered everyone's lives. Hope you have fun, but not too much. It's a work night you know! ;)

Riot Kitty said...

Sorry about Pebbles! What is mixi? What is the jab?

Why is your daughter working with meerkats? Inquiring minds want to know...

Rock Chef said...

Abby - I hate being a day behind like that. Yes, but it is Friday now! :-)

ShadowRun300 and Riot Kitty - Mixi (proper name myxomatosis) is a disease that was used to control rabbit populations, but is now less of a threat to wild rabbits than it is to pets...

Riot Kitty - My daughter has just starte a college course about animal care and management and gets to mess around with all sorts of creatures, from meerkats to giant cockroaches. We are hoping that she will go into veterinary nursing or something like that.

Shammickite said...

I remember the myxamatosis epidemic when I was a kid. I used to go over the fields at the back of our house with my dad, and he would knock the half-dead rabbits on the head with his walking stick, to put them out of their misery. Dad had rabbit traps and we ate a lot of rabbit before the mixi, but none at all since!
How did the games night go? Headache the next day????

agg79 said...

I am sorry to hear about Pebbles. Mixi is something I have never heard of but, then again, I haven't had rabbits since I was a kid.

I think it is great your daughter is getting some hands on experience with meerkats. Definitely way better than dealing with giant cockroaches.

Interesting game where you drink beers to enjoy a board game. I done a few of those games in my younger days.

terri said...

So sorry about Pebbles. I knew nothing about Mixi until I read this post and comments. Hope the others are okay.

Good to hear (but not surprising) that your daughter is off to a good start in college! Yay!