Tuesday 18 September 2012

Long weekend...

Just back from a long weekend.
 
I took Monday off because I spent Sunday in London at a wargames tournament.
 
It was an early start...
 
 
Sunrise over my local train station.
 

 
Changing onto the faster train a couple of stops down the line - the only way I was going to get to London on time!  Nice fast, posh trains...
 

 
One of my games in full swing.  This was a 2 day event, but as I could only commit to one day I had been paired up with another guy who could only attend on Saturday.  I was sort of dreading that he would have done well in his games, leaving me to ruin it all but I needn't have worried.  Of a possible 50 points he had scored 0.  I could only improve on his score.  After 2 very entertaining games, I raised our score to 21 - one game that I almost won and another that was a fairly bloodless draw.
 
The event was made even better by the availability of beer and very good Indian food at lunchtime.  I think that some of the guys were suffering, though.  For those who had attended both days, this was their 3rd Indian meal in 2 days...
 

 
This submarine (a retired Russian one, I think) is now moored in the River Medway, which the train crosses on its way to London. It always gives me a feeling of "what the heck?"
 

 
Me, on the way home after a long but very entertaining day.
 
Yesterday was a day of almost-rest - had a snooze on the sofa in the afternoon - a great way to spend Mondays, I decided.

10 comments:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Extremely cool train. Sink that sub about 20 miles off the North Carolina coast, will ya? I need something to dive.

Rock Chef said...

wReggie - If I hear that they are looking for a new home for it I will make this suggestion. BTW, if you have a spare £3million you could buy the Ark Royal, an aircraft carrier that our navy is getting rid off. That would make spectacular diving!

Abby said...

Sounds like a great weekend for you! And you're right - don't want to overdo the Indian cuisine!

I've never been to London, but I want to ride one of those trains when/if I make it there. Travel by train in the U.S. is notorious for being
S-L-O-W.

Riot Kitty said...

What is a bloodless draw?

ShadowRun300 said...

Mondays probably wouldn't have such a bad rap if they were used as recovery days more often!
Abby's right. Our train system could use some tutoring from yours on how to be a bit more speedy.
Glad to hear you had fun! Now get back to work. ;)

Rock Chef said...

Abby - Hm, I really need to get a good look at how I am going to get around when I am in the US next year...

Riot Kitty - Well the 2 armies pushed and shoved at each other without much effect. Think of a really evenly matched scrimmage line on football.

ShadowRun300 - YES MAAM!

lotta joy said...

Those trains look so futuristic and sleek! The picture of you coming home: If I didn't know better, I'd say the reason the Indian (dot, not feather)food agreed with you is you have some Indian ancestors in there somewhere. You look like a genuinely layed-back dude.

Rock Chef said...

Lotta Joy - Yes, I am pretty layed-back, I try not to stress about life - what is coming is coming! I have Jewish ancestry, but on the quiet I think I might have made a good Sikh.

terri said...

What a great way to spend the weekend! And coming in to the tournament with zero points made for a good challenge! Sounds like you had fun. Nice that you could enjoy a Monday off afterwards.

Rock Chef said...

Terri - Yes, starting at the bottom meant that I could focus on having fun instead of worrying about the scoreline. Having Mondays off is always a good thing...