Wednesday 4 February 2009

It's Snow Time!

So, Monday morning arrived with a fair amount of snow in my area - further west, London was having a really hard time of it, but being for or less surrounded by sea, we never suffer that badly.

I started the day by feeding Humphrey, my mom's pony.


I have banned my mom from going out in this sort of weather - she puts up a token resistance, but seems to be pleased really.

Then, having decided that the roads were OK, I carried on to work. On arrival I was told that my boss, being snowed in himself, had said that I shouldn't have gone in. But as I was there I might as well do a few jobs before going home. I guess I could legally have just gone home as my office was really cold, but you know me by now!

As I finished the last job on my list, I looked out of the window into a blizzard. That was when I posted my previous message and headed home, into a blizzard that came and went.

This was the scene around half way home. The road is a mix of fresh snow, slush with salt and grit in it and hidden ice. You can see my tyre tracks in the snow! I got home OK, if a little cold...
Also feeling the cold is the local wildlife. Here are a couple of doves who have just finished stuffing themselves at the all you can eat buffet that is our bird table.


Yesterday morning I woke up and felt terrible. With hindsite it was probably the effect if being cold for so long the day before, having never really warmed up while at work. Ah well, I slept in til lunchtime, then fiddled around for the rest of the day, even managing to make a few new bits if scenery for my soldiers - a couple of marshes, a small wood, a larger enclosed wood and a village (almost finished). I really enjoy doing that but never seem to do enough of it.
Anyway, back to normal now! I will try to post the answers to my quiz later today, after catching up as much as possible.

15 comments:

terri said...

How did you manage a bike in the snow? You are one dedicated employee!

Great pictures, especially the close up of the birds!

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Rock Chef said...

Terri - on the way home I did feel my back wheel slide a couple of times, but overall it was OK. When taking that pic of the doves I was thinking "How would Terri take this?" I think I got close. I feel fine now, thanks!

agg79 said...

Brave guy for riding the bike in that kind of weather. I have a few friends who won't even take their bike out when there is a hint of rain.

Nice pictures. Makes me feel cold down here. Try to stay warm & dry.

Rock Chef said...

agg97 - To be honest I feel safer when it is like this than when the roads are good - there are a lot less cars and those that are out go a lot slower!

Jen said...

Rock Chef, you know me, I would have been biking right behind you! Little bit of weather - can't stop us! Actually, I saw your picture of the road and the 1st thing I thought was, "those are RC's bike tire marks! Awesome!"

The doves - they look cold, but what a great picture!

Loved this post!

Ali said...

I love the picture of your tire tracks weeble-wobbling across the road :)
Sorry you were feeling crappy, but happy that you are on the mend!

Claire said...

I can't believe it - but - I drove to work this morning in snow!!! Glad I didn't have to bike in it - and it was just flurries - What is going on - this is South Carolina - at the beach!!! I was watching the BBC news and saw your snow!!!

Rock Chef said...

Jen - Yes, I am sure you would have been right there. Don't worry about the doves - we feed them very well, and they are checking out the garden for a nest site.

Ali - Weeble-wobbling? You make me sound like an old man wobbling along all over the road! That was a carefully planned line to where I wanted to stop! I don't know!

Claire - You got more? Wow! I love that we can watch each others nows and see what is going on. We watch more Fox News right now than UK news!

Sitting In Silence said...

Whoa... that looks like a huge skid on the ice in the middle photo, did you check there was no one in the bush ?LOL xoxox

Kiki said...

I love these pictures...the snow and the horse, the doves and your snowy road...thank you for sharing!!!

Be careful on those roads...scary that you might be biking in the dark on those roads, stay safe!!

Rock Chef said...

SiS - No one there this time, although 4-5 cars have ended up there over the last few years.

Kiki - Glad you like the pics. I ride in the dark here all the time - I have good lights and make the assumption that everyone is out to kill me... It has worked so far!

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Fine looking little pony. Want spring be all the better this year?

mr zig said...

ah, another picture blog! sweeet - love photo blogs!

kenady said...

love the photos!

hope you are feeling better:)

m said...

I want a pony!! Humphrey is freakin' adorable! Give him a good rub from me next time you see him. :)