Tuesday 12 May 2015

A Close Encounter...

So there I was, strolling along the narrow footpath, chatting to Mrs RC on my mobile phone.


I was on my way to the supermarket to re-stock my Pepsi supply at work, and had paused to look at a poster in a local small venue, advertising gigs by local bands.


Then I heard a whirring sound, getting rapidly louder.


Turning to look, I was amazed by what I saw, but before I could laugh I had to step out into the road to save myself a couple of smashed ankles.


Hurtling along the path was an old man in a mobility scooter - like a golf cart for one.  As he passed, I was about to swear at him but instead burst out laughing.


Can you guess why?  Bet you can't.


He was steering with one hand, while the other was waving a white stick.


A white stick indicates that you have at least a severe visual impairment.  So we have an at least half blind guy hacking along the path in his scooter, seemingly unaware or uncaring of the mayhem he was causing!  I cursed myself for leaving my camera at work, the video would have gone viral.  Maybe I will see if he is around tomorrow?






Hm, thinking further, perhaps there was a camera crew somewhere and they were filming the next "Fast and Furious" movie?

8 comments:

Abby said...

HA! What a sight (no pun intended) that musta been! Stay safe out there, RC.

ShadowRun300 said...

That is how I imagine I'll be when I'm old(er) and gray(er). Best just stay outa my way!
I do hope you catch him on video someday. Just be sure you're out of harms way....

Riot Kitty said...

Fast and Furious: Code Gray! OMG, that is hilarious!

Rock Chef said...

Abby - I try!

ShadowRun - I bet you will have one that looks like a Harley...

Riot Kitty - I think it should be made. Or at least a short story...

Shammickite said...

That's my ambition for when I can no longer get about on my own two legs.... a sooped up mobility scooter and a stick, doesn't matter what colour.... get out of my way, everyone!

Rock Chef said...

Shammickite - You would have to mount a camera on the front so you could post the video of people running for their lives :-)

terri said...

That's crazy! Even though you didn't get a photo, I'm can picture him perfectly. Hysterical!

agg79 said...

It is a shame you didn't have your camera. That would have been a sight to see/share. Those scooters can really zip along. I saw a ton of them at my swap meet a few weeks ago and they were all over the meet. Interesting to see people trying to haul car parts on a scooter.