Monday 8 September 2014

A bad week...

A combination of calamitous crap piled up to make last week one that I will not remember with fondness...

It started off with me catching one of those nasty, painful coughs - the sort where you think that your lungs are tearing themselves loose when you cough.  I stayed in bed on Monday, but by Tuesday I thought I was on the mend.  The ride to work told me otherwise, and I went home at lunchtime.

I stayed at home on Wednesday and have been on the mend since then, but it has been a slow process.  If I have not totally shifted it soon I will go the see the doctor to see if I need some pills to finally kill it.

Running along side this was an issue with the band - the guy we had doing most of the singing was not really working out, so I took the role of Bad Guy and told him the bad news.  It was a shame, as he is a great guy and I did not want to upset him.  So I am not primary singer until we find someone who can REALLY sing (if that ever happens).

There has also been a running story in the British news that has dragged us back to bad times.  A family has a 5 year old boy with a brain tumour, and not being happy that they were getting the best treatment at their hospital took him to Spain while trying to arrange treatment in another European hospital.  The hospital knew of their plans all along, but at first professed ignorence and called the Police who issued an international arrest warrent for the parents, suggesting that they were religious nutters who wanted to take the boy away and pray for a cure while denying him the proper treatment.  It all became a total mess, with the hospital then making new statements which contradicted previous ones.  It was this which stirred up bad memories of when we were trying to get answers from the hospital regarding our daughter's death - repeated, contradictory statements which we were not allowed to argue with.  This was a terrible time that we have tried to put behind us, but I guess it will always be there...

With the approaching weekend and my chest still not totally better I had a hard choice to make.  I was supposed to be going to the London wargames tournament, using the Scottish army that I have been preparing on and off for over a year.  By Thursday I knew that I had to bail out - I would not be up to it and was not convinced that the other players would enjoy my sporadic coughing fits during the games.  So my Scots spent the weekend in their box, instead of causing mayhem on the battlefield.  Ah well, I will try to get a game with them soon - once this cough has gone.

So, enough self-pity - this week must be better, eh?

4 comments:

Shammickite said...

Cor blimey, that sounds like it was a rough week. I hope that cough goes away, I had a similar cough and thick head in July, took 3 weeks for me to finally recover. (You can't catch this stuff through the internet can you???)
We had the news about the boy being taken to Spain too. What a mess. I'd I'm so sorry it brought back memories of your own tragedy.

Riot Kitty said...

Sorry, that all really sucks. Painful memories will always be there, I think, but less in the forefront as time passes. Though there are always triggers.

I hope this week is a ZILLION times better!

ShadowRun300 said...

SO sorry you've had a rough week. You must have been really sick to forfeit your wargames tournament.
And how awful about the little boy with the brain tumor. As if that poor family didn't have enough to deal with. No wonder it brought back bad memories for you.
And then being the bad guy with your ex-bandmate... icing on the cake. Next week HAS to be better.

terri said...

So sorry to hear you had such a rough week. The hospital fiasco in particular is such a disheartening story. I'm sorry it called up painful memories and emotions. Maybe the reality of what was going on behind the scenes will spur some sort of reformation where it's the patients' best interests that are put before the medical system's financial interests.