Monday 25 June 2012

Call me Papa!

I spent a fair bit of time over the weekend playing with my pasta maker.

On Saturday I made the main meal - beef in a tomato sauce, grated cheese, Parmesan and home made pasta (vermicelli, ie the very fine stuff).  After a couple of false starts (not having enough flour dusted everywhere made the pasta stick into a big mess) I was rolling, and the meal was a great success.

On Sunday the main meal was my home made pizzas, but at lunchtime I made a small amount of pasta dough which I rolled through the machine and then used to make ravioli.  The filling was small pieces of chorizo sausage and cheese.  After cooking I added some tomato sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan.  This was a real hit, especially with the boys.

In the evening, I avoided watching England playing football/soccer against Italy, but I was hoping that Italy would win (which they did).  I am starting to wonder if I am morphing into an Italian.  Will I start to have the urge to run a Mob?  Or start womanizing?  It seems that infidelity is obligatory for Italian men  :-)

OK, question of the day.  If you were going to change nationality or ethnicity, what would you change to, and why?

7 comments:

wigsf3 said...

Being of Italian heritage, I must speak my mind. We don't all womanize and organize (crime). For some of us, it's an OR thing. It's one or the other, not both.

If I had to change my citizenship I would choose to be Chinese. They're a proud people and they don't give a damn what other people think. China is like the USA without the whole pandering to the candy-asses thing.

Rock Chef said...

Wigsf - Thanks for clearing that up. I like your reasoning for becoming Chinese too.

Abby said...

I've always rather liked being half Filipino, but can't really answer as to why. I guess I just like the food. If I were to choose a different ethnicity, I might go Norwegian - that whole Viking thing. And I like their awesome warm sweaters.

I think I'm adding pasta maker to my wish list.

ShadowRun300 said...

I happen to love everything that I know about Italy and Italians. I love the freshness of their food. They seem relaxed, carefree and happy. Their country is beautiful, and I've actually considered moving there.
'Course I may be naive about a few things, but I hope to stay that way. I don't want my dreams dashed as of yet. :)

agg79 said...

Sounds like you are having a ball with your new toy. With lots of practice, the pasta will be flying off the machine. Now all you need is a little Cannoli to top off all that good pasta.

I'm kinda happy with who I am, but if I had to pick another nationality, how about Texan? No? Well, then, perhaps German. I've got a little Bavarian in me Probably from living over in Deutschland for several year. That and I think my ancestors came over from Germany. Must be why I have a affinity for bier.

terri said...

You're making good use of that pasta maker already! The ravioli sounds fabulous!

At your mention of football, I had to keep reminding my brain to picture European football, not American football.

If I could change nationalities? I of German and Polish descent, though technically, my families haven't much celebrated either heritage, so I'd love a chance to become more familiar. But if I had to switch completely, I'd go with Italian... ever since I saw the movie Under the Tuscan Sun.

Rock Chef said...

Abby - Half Filipino is cool. I have known quite a few Filipinos and they have all been lovely people. You would make a good Viking shield-maiden too!

Shadowrun300 - Yes, a lot of Brits moved to places like Tuscany which looks wonderful.

Agg79 - Mm, Cannoli - we had a Sicilian girl working with us for a while and she brought us some that her mom made - amazing stuff! Might try my hand at some point...

Terri - I do try to write "football/soccer" to bridge the language barrier. I find it hard to imaging a FOOTBALL game that was 0-0 after 2 hours of play. You have some wonderful heritage that could be explored...