Wednesday 14 October 2015

Seeing Doves in a New Light

I have spoken about doves a fair bit this year.

It started with the dumb pair who were trying to nest in a ridiculous place.


Then I got to thinking that doves are just the natural victims of the bird world.  I see them bullying each other, but I also see them being bullied by every other bird that comes along.  They just don't seem to have any fight in them.

But that view changed today.

As I was leaving for work, I looked up at the nest that is on our house, with its third pair of babies.  Yes, the dumb doves certainly know how to reproduce now they have a good place to do it!  The mother had just hopped from the next to the roof, possibly on her way to find breakfast, possibly because she sensed that something was wrong.

There on the roof was a magpie - notorious eaters of other people's babies.

The magpie hopped closer to the dove.

The dove lifted off, then dived at the magpie, attacking with all the ferocity of a mother defending her babies.

The magpie retreated, looking shocked, but this retreat was clearly not enough, and the psychotic dove dived on it again, forcing the magpie to flee!

Yeah.

Look at the photo above again with admiration, she is a real tough cookie!


5 comments:

Shammickite said...

I think she has a suspicious look in her eye, I'm surprised she didn't attack the camera! Good for her, taking on a maggie!

ShadowRun300 said...

Well good for her! She's doing something right anyway. :)
This reminds me of the time I was sitting on my deck, somewhat near a baby bird I wasn't aware of. The mom came swooping down and tried to attack my head, screaming the whole way. These guys mean business when it comes to their babies!

Unknown said...

No matter the adversity, life will prevail. I read this somewhere.

My school is infested with pigeons, and the classrooms smell.

They mate under the roof and poop all over the place.

Bad bad birds.

Rock Chef said...

Large numbers of pigeons can be a problem. These are doves, very different.

Riot Kitty said...

I'm amused by the image of the dove as a symbol of piece, as they are often quite violent!