Tuesday 29 September 2015

The Long Haul

Took Number One Son back to Uni on Sunday, a round trip of a little over 600 miles.  My butt is still recovering from sitting down for so long...


The traffic going up was pretty good, except for one incident.  We were rolling along merrily, over half way there.  All I did was say how good the traffic was being.


I caught the look from by brother who was driving.


Then I realised that there was no traffic coming the other way.  Not a good sign.  Within seconds our side of the road had ground to a halt, and then crawled for a couple of miles.  We then reached the crash site, which had just been cleared, and everything moved off as normal again.  The blockage on our side seemed to be solely caused by people "rubber-necking"!


The Uni was reasonably quiet when we arrived.  The Saturday had been the big arrival day, so we dodged a bullet there!  My son is back in the same room as last year, which was rather nice for him.  We quickly unloaded, then headed to get some lunch at a pub that we are starting to feel like regulars at.  Then is was time to say goodbye and head southwards for home.  The return traffic was rather less pleasant, but not the worst we have experienced, but we passed the time in the usual way with a constant stream of chatter about everything from Syria to queuing in shops.


I had the foresight to book Monday as holiday, so I had a bit of a laying, then Mrs RC and I went out for breakfast that had become lunch by the time we arrived.  Having eaten we then did a bit of shopping before heading home for a fairly lazy afternoon and evening! 


I totally slept through the red moon thing that happened, it was at its best over here between 3am and dawn, which is not a time that I tend to be awake.  Never mind, my camera is not great for that sort of shot anyway...


Hope you are having a great week!  More soon.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

600 miles! Now that's far far away indeed.
My parents sent me to uni only once, and then I had to plan my travel plans all by myself home. But we are only like 200 km away :)
I saw the notification for said moon in my online calendar, but the haze is blocking even the night sky.
Durn neighbour!

ShadowRun300 said...

You jinxed your commute! Glad to hear it wasn't too bad anyway. I see a lot of that rubber-necking around here too. In fact, I've been known to do it a time or two myself. ahem.
I was able to see the red moon on my way home from work, but it was pretty spotty in these parts. Lots of clouds that night, so not everyone got to see it.
Smart of you to take Monday off. Sounds like a day I would have enjoyed!

Abby said...

600 miles? Ugh, that's a long drive. Seems like every time we go to Denver, there's an "incident", jinx or not.
We had a good view of the blood moon, and it was at a decent hour in our parts. I wouldn't have made the effort at 3 a.m.

agg79 said...

600 miles? That's one long day trip to make. And unload & set up his room too boot. No wonder you are butt tired. Good thinking to take Monday off. Those days of pulling it off in a day and showing up for work/class on Monday morning don't come as easy as they did in our younger days.

I didn't catch the red mood when I was out walking the dogs. Too cloudy down here. But, the good news is, that we are still here after the blood moon. No apocalypse.

Shammickite said...

I saw a very tiny glimpse of the red moon through the scattered clouds, but the cloud cover thickened and blocked the view. Now I have to wait until 2033..... could be a problem.
Good luck to your son at Uni this year. September brings lots of changes... all my grandies are at school all day 5 days a week now.

Riot Kitty said...

Hope your butt recovers soon!