We bought the first 3 seasons on DVD for Christmas, and just added seasons 4 and 5.
I had been aware of the first season, but never watched it, merely noting that it seemed to star the dad from Malcolm in the Middle! Then it dropped off my radar - 2008 - I wasn't really on this planet at that point - and it was only when the kids started talking about how popular it was that we remembered it (the dad from Malcolm in the Middle in his underpants waving a gun is hard to truly forget) and decided to watch it.
So, why do I think it is so good?
For a start it covers a lot of issues without going all Preachy like a lot of TV does. It lays it on the like and lets you make you own judgements.
It covers things like:
- Suddenly finding that you have a terminal illness.
- Not having the money to pay for your treatment.
- Not wanting to take "charity" from "friends" that you secretly detest.
- Keeping things secret from your husband/wife.
- Becoming a drug dealer with all that this entails - collecting what is owed, dealing with rivals, not letting your DEA brother-in-law find out, etc.
- Whether to let the heroine addict who is threatening to ruin everything choke on her own vomit or not.