Tuesday 25 November 2014

An old photo

Back in the Second World War, men who were too young, too old, or unfit for some reason, for active service were enlisted into the Home Guard.  These were intended as a first line of defence against a German invasion.  Poorly equipped, poorly trained and only serving when not at work, they were more for morale purposes than for any real defence.  In the 1960s and 70s there was a TV series about them:
 
 
 
My grandad was one of the local Home Guard guys.  He is on the left:
 
 
I am pretty sure he would have done his bit if there had been an invasion, he was not one to give in easily.  Unless he was hungry and cold.  He did not like that.  In the winter of 1940, he had a habit of going home half way through patrols for a sandwich and cup of tea.  It was a really bad winter, and as far as he was concerned the Germans were not daft enough to invade in that sort of weather, Blighty was safe.  Of course, he did not share this view with his comrades, who continued to freeze on the beach, waiting for an enemy that would never come.  It was only at my grandfather's wake that I told one of them about this - the look on his face was a picture. 

11 comments:

terri said...

I'd love to see more of Dad's Army. It seems to have the same kind of humor as Hogan's Heroes.

I did not know about the Home Guard. Then again, I didn't earn my best grades in History class. Now if you taught bits of history here more often, I'm sure I'd be much more interested!

Rock Chef said...

Terri - Yes, it was a lot like Hogan's Heroes, come to think about it! There is a lot of Dad's Army on Youtube.

Are you asking me to do posts about history? Be very careful, I might just do that - then you would be sorry!

agg79 said...

Dang. I was going to say something about Hogan's Heroes as well but ya'll beat me to it. That's how I learned everything about Germany.

I would welcome some regular history lessons. It is good to remember/learn about where we came from and what was done to get us here. For example, Texas had numerous POW camps throughout the state.

Rock Chef said...

Agg79 - Interesting - did many of them stay after the war? Quite a few settled here, especially Italians for some reason!

Shammickite said...

Is that yer granfer standing next to Pike?

Rock Chef said...

Shammickite - Yep!

Abby said...

I think I see a family resemblance!
Nice story, I didn't know about the Home Guard either. I love these stories of how that generation stepped up and did what they had to do.

Rock Chef said...

Abby - My older brother looks even more like him! It was a tough time and most people just did what needed doing - wonder if we still have that in us? I often doubt it but when you see footage of things like 9/11 it gives you hope.

ShadowRun300 said...

I'd like to enroll in your history class too!
I'd have gotten along very well with your grandpa. I'm all about being warm and not missing a meal. And it sounds like he was right about the Germans not being daft enough. I bet the others are wishing they had thought of that. :)

Riot Kitty said...

Tea is good for recharging - he was a smart guy ;)

Shammickite said...

Regarding last post's comment... no, Auntie Lily married into my N Devon family, so no rellies in Herne Bay. However, granfer's oldest sister went to live in Northfleet many years ago, so probably have rellies there.